Introduction, Progress Tracking, Goal Setting & Prioritization
We’ll get into this stuff much more in each specific week, but for now we want to give you something to get started on the diet, exercise and lifestyle portions of your plan!:
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water (2 upon waking & 2 with each meal) and avoid liquid calories as much as possible.
- Fill ½ your plate with veggies, ¼ with meat or eggs and 0-1/4 with starch and eat them in that order. (If you’re vegetarian, use legumes in place of the meat and starch – legumes are a hybrid of protein and carbohydrates)
- Use a smaller plate, eat when hungry and stop at 80% full.
It doesn’t have to be perfect right now, just start making changes and observe where you have difficulty and success. Observe which foods make you just want to eat more and limit those to small portions after dinner.
- If you’re already working out or getting exercise, just keep doing what you’re doing.
- If you’re not doing any exercise, get out walking every day for at least one minute – if you do more, that’s great, but the minimum is one minute. (By setting the bar low, you guarantee you’ll do it – We like to recommend first thing in the morning as it’s a great way to kick-start your day, but if you need to do it at another time, that’s ok.)
- Sleep - If you’re getting less than 8 hours of sleep, start trying to go to bed an hour earlier.
- Stress – Let the little things go and practice taking deep inhales and exhales during stressful times. (Catch yourself breathing shallow)
- Mindset - Whenever you find yourself in a negative situation think of 3 things you are grateful for and consider how much worse it could be. (We’re all lucky to be in the situation we’re in – it could always be much, much worse.)
Your goal to learn what works best for you and compile a group of strategies that work for YOU to make it easier to reach your goals and make your life better.
For next week we want you to keep a food journal for 1 day this weekend and two days next week as we’ll be discussing nutrition. (this isn’t mandatory if you’re busy, but it will help you get an accurate idea of what you’re doing)
Assignment For This Week
- Ensure that all questionnaires, measurements and progress pictures are completed and submitted. (Don't forget the progress pictures)
- Complete the Prioritizing and Setting Your Goals Worksheet
- Create your Long-Term Goal Card
- Create your Action-Based Goal Card for this week
- Post a photo of your Goal Cards on social media using #byocOnline
- Follow the Diet, Exercise and Lifestyle recommendations from above.
- Complete a 3 day Picture Food & Beverage Journal (1 day from this weekend, 2 days during the week)